By Tiffany Luu, Esperança Development Manager
As cases of COVID-19 grow around the world, experts are expecting disruptions in our economy, in addition to our personal and professional lives. Esperança and other non-profits organizations across the country are bracing for challenges in the months to come.
Esperança is playing a special role during this time. Our mission is to provide hope and improve health through disease prevention, education and treatment for every life we touch. As challenges surrounding the coronavirus arise, we remain steadfast in working towards our vision of health equity for everyone.
Serving as a global health organization, we recognize that safety comes first – to our donors, partners, community members, volunteers, staff, and other Esperança supporters. To review a statement released by our President & CEO, click here.
So how has Esperança programming responded to this crisis?
- Esperança’s Community Health Educators are creating a series of videos in Spanish including cooking demonstrations, exercise classes, nutrition talks, mental health activities and more. This education will be delivered via our community Facebook page, Esperança en su Comunidad.
- In a time of physical distancing, our staff has been connecting by phone to both our program participants and donors, like YOU, to check in on you and yours. Haven’t received a call? Connect with me today!
- Through the Medical Supply Donation Program, we are repurposing donations of PPE; (personal protective equipment) masks, gowns, and gloves and distributing to local hospitals.
- For our vulnerable Seniors living in HUD housing, we are delivering disposable briefs, wipes, ostomy bags, and glucose monitors and diabetes supplies.
- We repurposed the catering deposit from Esperança’s annual fundraiser, the Hope Breakfast, to supply our seniors with healthy groceries to last 4-6 days.
Needless to say, this year will be a busy one!
But even with these unforeseen circumstances, the staff and Board of Esperança continue to hold ourselves to the highest standard for serving the most vulnerable communities. We know that the need is greater than ever, and so is the demand of our work.
Here’s how you continue to support us during this time:
- Be an advocate! Continue to help Esperança spread the word of our work to your family, friends, and networks.
- Feed a Senior! Your contribution of just $25 will feed senior with healthy groceries for three days, reducing their risk of infection and putting their minds at ease. Click here to donate.
- Join us for an Hour of Hope during the first virtual Hope Breakfast on May 7th. If you’re a supporter not in Arizona, this will be the FIRST time we are holding our annual breakfast virtually. Please click here for more information on the event.
- Extra medical supplies laying around? Our Medical Supply Donation Program continues to distribute to local hospitals and seniors in need.
We need hope now more than ever! Thank you for your continued loyal support and generosity.